Dear 2B Families,
Welcome back to school for our last quarter together. It's hard to believe! I hope you all had a restful and peaceful break with your families. The first part of my break was spent writing the evaluations for Quarter 3 grades and finishing the checklists! I hope you found them informative for your scholar. I look forward to seeing them work on their goals for our last quarter.
After I was finished with grades and some work around the house, Mr. Dombrowski and I enjoyed a little (COLD) getaway to Chicago...his birthplace!
Side note: HOW cute are my niece and nephew??? Just had to share this sweetness with you...
I was happy to see all of your smiling children on Tuesday morning. They were mostly excited (and a little tired) to be back at school! We're starting off on the right foot this quarter and will continue this positive momentum. We have SO much to do before 3rd grade! We loved being back with our friends and just "hanging out" on the playground!
SOCK HOP: Friday, March 24th from 6:00-8:00pm - Free Fun for the Whole Family!
Field Trip Announcement: We will be going to the Pioneer Museum on Thursday, April 13th. Please e-mail me if you would like to attend so I can get a list put together. The cost will be $20 per student. Keep an eye out for permission slips coming home soon!
New Book Reports: These were sent home on Thursday. Your child either received a Who Was?, Who Is?, I Survived, or Nancy Drew chapter book. Please let me know if you have questions about these new reports. If they received a Who Was?, Who Is?, or I Survived book they will complete a Biography Book Report Bag. If they received a Nancy Drew book they will complete the Literature Cube Book Report. Please let me know if you have questions about this!
Fine Arts and French Night: Friday, April 7 *We hope to see you there! Please check the flyer that was sent home in your child's folder.
AzMERIT Testing will be going on next week for our 3rd-5th grade students. This is something your scholar will be doing next year!
Our Curriculum Next Week...
Language Arts: We will start a new unit on dictionary skills! We will be Dictionary Daredevils! We will become alphabetical order experts, and learn to use guide words.
Literature: We have finished reading Sarah, Plain and Tall! Ask your scholar about the ending :-). Please send your child to school with our newest classic: Little House in the Big Woods. We will start this the first week of April. Next week we will spend time with fairy tales and tall tales (Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, John Henry, and Casey Jones)!
Spalding Words:
Monday: husband, amount, human, view, clerk, though, o'clock=o(f the) clock, support, does, goes, Tuesday
Tuesday: regard, escape, since, which, witch, length, long, strong, length, strength, destroy
Wednesday: newspaper, daughter, naughty, caught, taught, answer, reply, sail, sale
Math: Next week in math we will continue working with time! Please continue conversations with your time master. Next week we will relate time to events of our daily life. Side note: there was a funny moment (debate) going on in our classroom when our math book showed a little boy brushing his teeth BEFORE he ate breakfast! The kids said, "That would make your breakfast taste funny. I ALWAYS brush my teeth AFTER I eat breakfast." We will have to speak with the publisher of our math book I guess! Next week, we will find the duration of a time interval in minutes and hours, as well as attacking word problems with elapsed time. We will review and take our units 1-11 cumulative test on Friday. The homework on Thursday night will provide great practice for Friday’s test! Please help your scholar with this skill at home as it can be a challenging one for 2nd graders!
History: We will continue our journey west, learning about the Pony Express and following the cowboys, farmers, and miners on their adventures and challenges moving to new lands! Can your scholar tell you about: Daniel Boone? Robert Fulton? Jedediah Smith? Levi Strauss?
Science: Have your children suddenly been playing with magnets all around your house? They are loving this unit! We will continue learning about magnets by experimenting with magnetic poles and magnetic fields. We will also investigate how a compass is a magnet!
Love,
Mrs. Dombrowski




No comments:
Post a Comment