Friday, February 24, 2017

Happy Last Friday of February!

Dear 2B Families,

I hope everyone had a lovely long weekend! It gave me a chance to grade our Magic Tree House Book Reports! Those can be found in your scholar's Friday Folder along with their recitation grade of Smart by Shel Silverstein. Thank you for your patience with those! I really can't believe it's almost March! Where has the time gone in 2017? Are you counting down the days to Spring Break yet? 

Don't forget that our next Book Reports are due on March 6th. Those were The Boxcar Children series chapter book or A-Z Mysteries (depending on what your scholar was assigned). Your scholar will also recite The Preamble next week. The link has a recording of the class saying The Preamble together. Please ask your child to recite it in the car for you :-).

A few fun things to share...

When your children had a half day on February 10th Mrs. Lacsa and I had the pleasure to visit the Desert Botanical Gardens for our Spring Inservice. Thank you Great Hearts! It was a beautiful day!



Funny picture to share! One day Ms. Spriggs, Mrs. Cook, and I all showed up wearing clothes with flowers! It was not planned and we received many comments about it :-).



We loved Spirit Wear Day today...will I see everyone at the Fun Run tomorrow? I hope so!



Scholar Shout-Outs:

I must say, it's pretty neat that when you're in the middle of "silent work" or some other activity like eating snack or enjoying Friendship Floats at Great Hearts Day that your class just suddenly bursts out into songs they've learned with Mrs. Kaye during Music class. It truly warms my heart and I LOVE to hear these little ones sing. Don't you? They sound beautiful! I got CHILLS at the last Assembly hearing their voices fill the gym with You're a Grand Ole Flag.  I have to give credit to Mrs. Kaye for the beautiful work she does with these scholars. Here is a recording of 2B singing acapella style The Battle Hymn of the Republic the other week ~ they just started to randomly sing with no prompt at all ~ I loved it and I wonder who is starting it too :-)!

Upcoming Events:
Saturday, Feb 25: Family Fun Run & Picnic ~ Will Paisley and I see you there? I hope so!
Monday, Feb 27: Phoenix Symphony at School *Please remind your child about theatre etiquette and how they should act while enjoying the performance.
Friday, March 3: Movie Night & Uniform Exchange
Monday, March 6: BINGO Book Reports Due
Friday, March 10: Chargers Night at the Soda Shop
March 13-20: Spring Break, R&R
Thursday, March 30: Chargers Night at Chipotle

Curriculum Next Week:

French: Your scholar should have their French notebook this weekend and study for their test on Tuesday over ~ Les couleurs & Les nombres ~ Please also remind them how precious Madame's time is with us and we need to be super scholars during her class time.


Language ArtsPlease send in a copy of Sarah, Plain and Tall for your scholar to read. We will dive into new vocabulary, like what is a hearthstone, and what it means to be feisty. We will also discuss why Sarah feels like a move is necessary, and why Pa places an advertisement in the newspaper! Be sure to ask your literature experts for the answers to these questions.  

In grammar we will continue to classify sentences and even start making our own sentences when given a list of parts of speech.


In spelling we are still working hard on our beautiful cursive, and are tackling some challenging spelling words this week!
Spalding Words:
Monday: creature, curtain, declared, declare, distance, distant, explain, floated, ghost, holiday, holy
Tuesday: knee, lemon, lying, lie, nails, needle, nobody, oar, palace
Wednesday: penny, regular, repeats, sailor, sentence, shining, shine, surface, sweeping, sweeps

Math: Next week we are working on making change! We will be working hard on picking different menu items and paying for them, while doing mental math in our heads to make change! We will continue to work on attacking word problems, focusing on multistep word problems, for example if I buy 4 pens that cost $1.40 each, and give the cashier $10.00 how much change will I receive? If students get step 1 incorrect, it sets them up to do poorly on step 2!

History: We will review and take our test over The Constitution. Our scholars will dive into a brief study of what some refer to as the second war of independence: The War of 1812. Ask your scholar to identify key points for the Merchant's and War Hawk's views.


ScienceSimple Machines will continue through taking a closer look at inclined planes, wedges and screws. We will do a few hands on experiments to explore how these simple machines work. We will also be sending home a "Simple Machines Scavenger Hunt" for scholars to find examples of simple machines at their house.


Cheesy Science Joke ~ What did the tree say to the wedge? ~ I'm stumped! Hehe ;-)

Love,
Mrs. Dombrowski

No comments:

Post a Comment